2019 Winter Indoor Tryouts
August Winter Indoor Tryouts
- Where: Aspiring Champions, 970 Pulaski Drive, King of Prussia
- Age Groups: U-10, U-12, U-14, U-16, U-19
- When: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your try-out to check-in.
- Athletes need only try-out ONCE, but are welcome to attend multiple tryouts for further evaluation.
- Goalies MUST register and attend one Goalie Evaluation, but are welcome to attend more. Goalies are encouraged to attend their age group tryouts for practice (no need to register for field player tryouts).
*Be Sure to Try-out for the Right Age Division!*
U-10: 9 or under as of 1/1/20
U-12: 11 or under as of 1/1/2o
U-14: 13 or under as of 1/1/20
U-16: 15 or under as of 1/1/20
U-19: 18 or under as of 1/1/20
*No refunds, credits or transfers permitted.
Saturday, August 3rd- TRYOUTS
Sunday, August 4th- TRYOUTS
Saturday, August 17th- TRYOUTS
Sunday, August 18th- TRYOUTS
Saturday, August 24th – TRYOUTS
Sunday, August 25th – TRYOUTS
How can I prepare for tryouts on my own?
Stick work, stick work, stick work! The most difficult transition from playing field hockey on a turf field to a basketball court is the speed at which the ball rolls; practice your stick work as fast as possible on a carpet or garage floor, trying to keep the ball on your stick and the “taps” to a minimum. To help ALL athletes prepare for their tryouts, Mayhem will be hosting OPEN PLAY nights for high school and middle school athletes of all ages, skill levels, and club affiliations.
Are there opportunities to practice before tryouts?
Haven’t picked-up your indoor stick since last February? No problem. Dust-off your gear and hop into Mayhem’s open-play indoor clinics leading-up to your indoor tryouts (for ANY club) for 60 minutes of coach-refereed scrimmaging.
Register for an Open Play Date Below:
Friday, August 2nd:
Friday, August 16th:
Friday, August 23rd:
What is “Indoor” Field Hockey?
- “Indoor Field Hockey” is the soccer-equivalent to futsal- it is the fast and furious (AND FUN!) version of field hockey complete with a different set of rules, a different playing-field surface, and different equipment. Indoor field hockey is played on a friction-free gym floor between the months of November and March to develop the players’ skills in the off-season. It is THE BEST way to increase the speed and quickness of stick skills and decision making, as the court is much smaller, faster, and there is a heavier reliance on ball-handling (and body control) where hitting the ball is prohibited.
Mayhem’s Indoor Field Hockey Programs
- Mayhem offers three different kinds of Indoor Programs to suit the needs of ALL players’ age, skill, and commitment level: full-season Travel Teams, “Saturday Club” Travel Teams (1/2 season), and the Mayhem Rising Skills training program. Tryouts in August are used to divide prospective indoor athletes across these three programs. Those selected for the full-season travel team program will be evaluated again once practices begin in November in order to determine the specific team rosters. Athletes ONLY interested in participating in the Mayhem Rising Skills training program need not attend tryouts and may sign-up for the program in the fall.
Overview of Full-Season Programs
- A full indoor travel team season is approx. 12-14 weeks from mid-November to the first weekend of March, excluding Holidays weeks;
- Team practices and age-group open play could be scheduled for any day of the week;
- Full-season teams participate in 5 local tournaments + the USFHA National Indoor Tournament; Saturday Club travel teams have approx. 1/2 the commitment of a full-season team;
- Additional costs include uniforms/team gear/ equipment, travel expenses, etc.
- Learn More About Mayhem’s Winter Indoor Travel Team Program Here